Psalm 125 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
- Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion. It cannot be shaken; it remains forever.
- Jerusalem – the mountains surround her and the LORD surrounds His people, both now and forever.
- The scepter of the wicked will not remain over the land allotted to the righteous, so that the righteous will not apply their hands to injustice.
- Do what is good, LORD, to the good, to those whose hearts are upright.
- But as for those who turn aside to crooked ways, the LORD will banish them with the evildoers. Peace be with Israel.
Beth tells us that the Hebrew word for “trust” in verse one is “batach,” which means “confident, secure, sure.” She asked us to replace the word “trust” with each of those words, and then describe what they mean.
- Confidence is trusting God’s plans and knowing He is for me.
- Security is knowing He will never leave me or forsake me. I am His forever.
- Being sure is knowing that He will do what He says because He cannot lie.
Insecurity leads to a lot of issues – low self-esteem, jealousy, envy, promiscuity, manipulation, unbelief, doubt, pessimism, arrogance, mean-spiritedness, etc. I have a family member so bound by insecurity that results in paranoia so intense, people can’t do or say ANYTHING without it being taken the wrong way. If you stop talking when she enters the room, it was because you were talking about her. If you get up and leave the room when she enters, it was because she came in, not because you had to go to the bathroom. Her witness is shattered because her life is joyless. She lives in defeat and wallows in her past.
Sometimes God allows us to encounter trouble and sorrow because if He made everything easy for us, we would take Him for granted and never grow closer to Him. It is okay to feel sorry for yourself once in a while, but it is not okay to make that your life’s mission. If you are in a perpetual state of “woe is me” and never reach out and take the Hand God is offering, then you will never know true deliverance.
I don’t want to follow in the footsteps of my family member. I want to live a life of joy. I want to love people and believe in them. I want to be secure in my position as a child of God. I want to do unto others as I would have them do unto me, not do unto others before they can do unto me.
My Psalm 125:
If I trust in God I will be like an secure mountain – never shaken. The LORD will place a hedge of protection around me now and forever. If I do right, the wicked will not be able to rule over me or defeat me. They will not tempt me to evil. Let my heart be honest and upright, and bless me, Lord. Do good to me. Remove those who would bring evil on my family and our country. Remove them and all who have turned from You to follow them. Let there be peace in America.