So, here’s the skinny: every Friday for over a year hundreds of people join a kind of writing flash mob over here.
We write for five minutes flat. All on the same prompt that I post here at 1 minute past midnight EST ever Friday. And we connect on Twitter with the hashtag #FiveMinuteFriday
No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation.
Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
Are you ready?
To be totally honest, I never truly felt welcome there. With them.
Or maybe it was that I was never truly welcomed.
Always the outsider. Never really a part of the family.
Even though that was supposed to be what I was.
Something just never really clicked.
Or possibly the clique was too firmly established to admit someone else.
Too inwardly focused.
Too selfish. Both in the individual parts and in the whole.
That is the only explanation I can seem to come up with for how I was so easily dropped like a rock by people I believed cared about me.
And honestly, even then the explanation makes no sense whatsoever to me.
But from that experience I learned – totally and completely – the truth about real relationship, true friendship, and who my family really is – because I have seen what those things are not.
I found a group of people who opened their doors, their arms, and their hearts to me. They aren’t all talk and no walk. They have become the family I never had. A true family that reflects the love of Jesus and encourages me, edifies me, and welcomes me just the way I am, scars and all.
Just like Jesus did.
Wanna play? Here’s how:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
- Five Minute Friday: Welcome (Even a Girl Like Me – joycannis.wordpress.com)
- Five Minute Friday: Welcome (livelifewithyourkids.wordpress.com)
- Five Minute Friday: Grasp (pilgrimwanderings.wordpress.com)