So, here’s the skinny: every Friday for over a year hundreds of people join a kind of writing flash mob over here.
We write for five minutes flat. All on the same prompt that I post here at 1 minute past midnight EST ever Friday. And we connect on Twitter with the hashtag #FiveMinuteFriday
No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation.
Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
Are you ready?
That’s what I feel like my life has become right now – one big race that doesn’t seem to have a finish line in sight.
Racing around trying to get everything done that a single mom with a teenager has to do every day.
It starts with the alarm clock going off at 4:45. And 4:54. And 5:03. Etc., etc., etc., until I finally muster the energy to get up and get moving.
Racing out the door at by 7:00. Or 7:15. Racing to the school. Racing to work with all the other racers on the interstate.
Racing to pick up my son after bowling practice several days each week. Feeling bad because practice ends at 5:00, and he has to hang out at the bowling alley until at least 5:30 – sometimes later – since I can’t get there sooner because of work and traffic.
Racing home to let the dogs out, fix dinner, finish homework, pick up the house, try to find 5 minutes to sit and do nothing. Or to find time to shower.
Collapsing into bed at the end of every day. Never before 11:00 anymore, it seems. Only to have the race start over when alarm goes off again at 4:45 the next morning.
I’m tired of racing.
I’m ready for some time to rest with my Jesus and be refreshed.
Wanna play? Here’s how:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
- Five Minute Friday: Race (joycannis.wordpress.com)
- #FiveMinuteFriday on Race: No Teams No Winners No Losers, Just Play…. (juliejordanscott.typepad.com)
- Reversing the Rat Race ~ Five Minute Friday (simplystriving.wordpress.com)
- The Approval of the Lord (5 Minute Friday) (livelifewithyourkids.wordpress.com)
- Five Minute Friday: RACE (joleneybean.wordpress.com)